Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Isn't It A Long Way Home




On Monday, March 24, Jared wrote on Facebook, "Looking back at the past few months and it amazes me how far I/We have come. 3 months ago I was diagnosed with Stage 4 Leukemia and told I either had less than 2 weeks to live or I could fight for the next 3 1/2-4 years. I've been beat down and pushed to my limits but it's helped me so much to find out whom I really am and what I'm capable of. Cancer sucks but I wouldn't change my life for anything else. The adversity and struggles make life worth fighting for".


Jared’s comment on Facebook reminded me of a true story about a girl named Agnes. Just before Agnes was born, her father, William Caldwell, was lost at sea. Her mother had to raise three boys and two girls by herself. A few years later, her mother had the enormous job of getting her family safely from Scotland to America and then across America to the Salt Lake Valley. In 1856, when Agnes was nine years old, she and her family boarded the ship Thornton and arrived in America seven weeks later. In Iowa, they joined the James G. Willie Handcart Company. Their company suffered greatly on their way to the valley as they pushed and pulled their heavy handcarts through terrible snowstorms and freezing temperatures. Agnes wrote of one incident that took place shortly before they got to the Salt Lake Valley: “Just before we crossed the mountains, relief wagons reached us, and it certainly was a relief. The infirm and aged were allowed to ride, all able-bodied continuing to walk. When the wagons started out, a number of us children decided to see how long we could keep up with the wagons, in hopes of being asked to ride. At least that is what my great hope was. One by one they all fell out, until I was the last one remaining, so determined was I that I should get a ride. After what seemed the longest run I ever made before or since, the driver, who was William Henry ‘Heber’ Kimball, called to me, ‘Say, sissy, would you like a ride?’ I answered in my very best manner, ‘Yes sir.’ At this he reached over, taking my hand, clucking to his horses to make me run, with legs that seemed to me could run no farther. On we went, to what to me seemed miles. What went through my head at that time was that he was the meanest man that ever lived or that I had ever heard of, and other things that would not be a credit nor would it look well coming from one so young. Just at what seemed the breaking point, he stopped. Taking a blanket, he wrapped me up and lay me in the bottom of the wagon, warm and comfortable. Here I had time to change my mind, as I surely did, knowing full well by doing this he saved me from freezing when taken into the wagon.”

It reminds me of a time when I had gone through my first divorce. I prayed for months to understand why there were so many challenges in my life. One day I was at the Salt Lake Temple Square. As I started to enter the pioneer room, I voice said to me, “Are you sure you’re ready to receive the answer to your prayers?” I thought, “I’m going to the temple once a week and reading my scriptures everyday. I can take it”. I sat down, and two pictures caught my attention. One was the saint being driven from Farr West. A young mother, with long red hair, held one child.


Another child clung to that same mother’s legs. The young mother looked terrified. There were men on horses, carrying torches. The other picture was the saint crossing the plains in the snow. A family was burying a family member. A voice said to me, “your challenges will be as great as these. If you did not go through the challenges you are growing from now, you wouldn’t make it”. I was not ready for that answer.
 I now look back over the thirty-four years, since I had that experience. I was in Romania a year after their Revolution in 1990. The people had executed their president. The people were angry because their lives were even more difficult. The Romanian people wanted to have another revolution as soon as Christmas was over. They had not been able to celebrate Christmas with religion in thirty years. 
Christmas Carolers

Kristina


Lisa
















                                                                                                          
Train to Yugoslavia
Our missionaries were told to keep their cars full of gas in case they needed to flee Romania. I was finishing my adoptions on my two beautiful babies.  I had a problem with my INS, and was told I might have to stay another twomonths. I had been there for six weeks, and I wanted to go home. I was terrified!     My friends had to go home. I was going to be alone for months. It was a very difficult experience! One miracle after another helped me go come after New Years with my friends. Because of an Airline strike we had to take the Train, the Orient Express, in to Yugoslavia. Our trip home took 72 hours. 

What I went through with my second husband was so much worse than my first husband. It was extremely difficult! I was so determined to have my second temple marriage work, I tried for twenty years.

I have loved the story about Agnes for years. I look at Jared’s life with leukemia, and it reminds me of that young girl being forced to run. How that most difficult experience prepared her to finally rest. I know and Jared knows he is being prepared for something. We know this Leukemia experience is necessary to teach and prepare him. We now have a three and a half year fight with leukemia. I understand and draw from my past experiences to make it through each day. It’s like each experience we have, every scripture we study, helps us to build a fortress to protect us from each of life’s battles.
After Adoption Court 


Kristina     Lisa

Lisa     Kristina


1 comment:

  1. Your experience in Romania was especially poignant to me as we tried (and failed) to go to Romania during that same time.
    Thanks for your words. You show a great strength.

    ReplyDelete